Best Gaming Headsets
Before the PS4 Day one Update everyone was frantically trying to figure out whether their expensive gaming headset would work with the PS4. Luckily, we do not need to worry about that anymore. Sony released a 308 MB day one update for users who are using existing hard drives and a 859MB update for those who are interested in buying and installing a larger hard drive.
Digging through Sony’s Ultimate FAQ there are several mentions of what the PS4 offers for headsets. Before the PS4 Launch and update 1.50. Sony said that the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset headsets were not supported as well as most USB headsets. However, now that update 1.50 has been released a few comments in the Ultimate FAQ.
- “After the update, most commercially available USB headsets will be compatible.”
- PS4 will support the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset – Elite Edition following an upcoming PS4 system software update. Existing wireless headsets from third-party companies that use a Bluetooth connection will not be supported on PS4, though most USB headsets will be supported following PS4 system software update 1.50.
The PlayStation 4 does come with its on mono headset with optional voice commands and voice chat for online games. ThePlayStation 4 Camera, sold separately for $59.99 (MSRP), will also support voice chat and voice commands for PS4.
Quality of the sound makes a huge difference in the way a player experiences a game. Playing a game that has positional audio almost requires a headset that will help identify where you are and others are around you. Being able to listen to others commands clearly can make the difference especially with FPS games like Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty: Ghosts Professional gamers pay $300 and up to gain an advantage over their enemies. Gaming headsets have been getting better every year.
Wireless vs Wired Headsets
Without deciding which headset is best for your right now, lets take a look at whether Wireless or Wired is better.
[easyazon_image add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B0094MYU4M” cloaking=”default” height=”500″ localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dosxM2cmL.jpg” popups=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″ width=”500″]Wireless
- Pro - No Cord to trip over, better for safety and less wires
- Pro - Move around freely while you are playing games
- Con – Occassional Replacement of batteries
- Con - interference is possible with other devices
- Pro – No need to spend money on batteries
- Pro – Compatible with more devices than Wireless
- Pro – No interference
- Con – Restricted Movement/cord management
- Con – Required to sit a certain distance from the TV
Additional Things to consider when looking for the best gaming headset
- Stereo or Surround sound speakers Without surround sound in your headphones it will be very difficult to have good positional audio. High end headsets will have multiple speakers in each earpiece which helps our ears determine which way the sound is coming from. If you are traditionally a gamer who likes to play FPS games this an important aspect. Gamers who are just looking for pure quality will look for stereo sound instead.
- Microphones Attached or detached microphones are an option on some gaming headsets giving you the choice of putting away the mic when you are not using it. Sometimes there is static or feedback when you hear someone using a microphone. If the microphone has noise cancelling this will reduce static and feedback significantly.
- Cost The best gaming headsets don’t need to cost $3o0.00. Set a max budget for what you are willing to spend on a gaming headset. Standard Mic/Chat headsets are very inexpensive around $25, Wireless Headsets tend to cost a bit more. The afterglow wired headset is about $55 while the wireless is $99.
- Force Feedback Much like our console controllers, we get notified when certain things are happening in game. Force feedback allows your headset to provide you with the same interactions.
- Look/Feel Since your headset is going on top of your head, you probably want the headset to look good. Some headsets like the Afterglow headsets offer interchangeable colors. Memory foam headsets will allow it to fit to your head and be much more comfortable if you are gaming for long periods of time.
Top wired gaming headsets – Compatible with PS4
Plantronics Gaming Tournament Headset
Normally a $300 headset, for $200 the Plantronics gaming headset is top of the line in every area. You have the choice to switch between 7.1 Stereo and 7.1 Surround Sound audio with this headset. [easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B008QVQXYM” cloaking=”default” layout=”right” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″]
- Noise-canceling, closed-ear design and ruggedized mic
- USB Dolby sound card for 7.1 surround sound
- HD stereo sound, extended frequency response from 40mm drivers
- 3.5mm plugs for analog compatibility
- Travel case for storage and display
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound
Another best selling headset out there that was made for the Xbox 360. The X12 is listed on the PS4 compatibility list as it connects through USB to the console. What makes this headset so appealing is the price. For gamers who are not looking to spend a lot of money on headsets but want something a headset with good stereo sound, this is a great option. You cant beat the price of under $50 for the X12, the 1500+ reviews with 4.5/5 stars says it all. [easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B005DQG0BO” cloaking=”default” layout=”right” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″]
- Rugged, breathable design
- Breathable mesh ear cushions
- 3.5 mm mic and audio jacks
- High sensitivity mic with flexible boom
- Mic mute switch
- 16’ cable
Turtle Beach Earforce Chat Communicator P4C
Made just for the PS4 for an affordable way to chat and communicate while playing. [easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B00EI4V3FU” cloaking=”default” layout=”right” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″]
- High sensitivity microphone with flexible boom and premium 40mm speaker for high-fidelity chat.
- VERY inexpensive but built for Chat and not sound quality
- 40mm speaker for incoming chat and a unique slotted ear cup design that lets you hear external game sound and chat at the same time
Top Wireless Headsets
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound
One of the best selling gaming headsets out there. This headset is very high quality and inexpensive compared to the other headsets that offer the same functionality. The headset has memory foam to make it comfortable to wear for hours and hours on end. The Wireless connector is USB compatible with the PS4 and the wireless range offers a great connection up to 40 feet away. [easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B003VANOFY” cloaking=”default” layout=”right” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″]
- Immersive 7.1 surround sound: Advanced Dolby technology delivers detailed positional audio
- Noise-cancelling boom mic: Reduces background noise and auto mutes when rotated up
- Three programmable G-keys: Customize with one-touch commands over chat clients, voice morphing and more
Turtle Beach Earforce PX4
One of the newest additions to the Earforce lineup. A pricetag of about $150.00, superior quality to many other headsets and delivers crisp and clear sound. The PX4 is compatible with the PS4 [easyazon_block add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B00EI4V3X2″ cloaking=”default” layout=”right” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″]
- PS4 Compatible
- Dolby® Digital Surround Sound
- Play & Charge Rechargeable Battery – Up to 15 hours of continuous gameplay
- Connect a second audio source (such as a phone or MP3 player) to the transmitter to listen to music when done gaming
- PX4 can plug into any 3.5mm jack with the included Mobile Device Cable
Turtlebeach has a great compatibility guide on their website for the PS4. Below is a picture of the Turtlebeach headsets that will work. If you have a preference for one of them. [easyazon_cta add_to_cart=”default” align=”none” asin=”B00E5UHSX8″ cloaking=”default” height=”28″ key=”wide-orange” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”boxclashhs-20″ width=”176″]