Best Gaming Headsets
Before the PS4 Day one Update everyone was frantically trying to figure out whether their expensive gaming headset would work with the PS4. Luckily, we do not need to worry about that anymore. Sony released a 308 MB day one update for users who are using existing hard drives and a 859MB update for those who are interested in buying and installing a larger hard drive.
Digging through Sony’s Ultimate FAQ there are several mentions of what the PS4 offers for headsets. Before the PS4 Launch and update 1.50. Sony said that the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset headsets were not supported as well as most USB headsets. However, now that update 1.50 has been released a few comments in the Ultimate FAQ.
- “After the update, most commercially available USB headsets will be compatible.”
- PS4 will support the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset and Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset – Elite Edition following an upcoming PS4 system software update. Existing wireless headsets from third-party companies that use a Bluetooth connection will not be supported on PS4, though most USB headsets will be supported following PS4 system software update 1.50.
The PlayStation 4 does come with its on mono headset with optional voice commands and voice chat for online games. The PlayStation 4 Camera sold separately for $59.99 (MSRP), will also support voice chat and voice commands for PS4.
Quality of the sound makes a huge difference in the way a player experiences a game. Playing a game that has positional audio almost requires a headset that will help identify where you are and others are around you. Being able to listen to others commands clearly can make the difference especially with FPS games like Professional gamers pay $300 and up to gain an advantage over their enemies. Gaming headsets have been getting better every year.
Wireless vs Wired Headsets
Without deciding which headset is best for your right now, lets take a look at whether Wireless or Wired is better.
- Pro – No Cord to trip over, better for safety and less wires
- Pro – Move around freely while you are playing games
- Con – Occassional Replacement of batteries
- Con – interference is possible with other devices
- Pro – No need to spend money on batteries
- Pro – Compatible with more devices than Wireless
- Pro – No interference
- Con – Restricted Movement/cord management
- Con – Required to sit a certain distance from the TV
Additional Things to consider when looking for the best gaming headset
- Stereo or Surround sound speakers Without surround sound in your headphones it will be very difficult to have good positional audio. High end headsets will have multiple speakers in each earpiece which helps our ears determine which way the sound is coming from. If you are traditionally a gamer who likes to play FPS games this an important aspect. Gamers who are just looking for pure quality will look for stereo sound instead.
- Microphones Attached or detached microphones are an option on some gaming headsets giving you the choice of putting away the mic when you are not using it. Sometimes there is static or feedback when you hear someone using a microphone. If the microphone has noise cancelling this will reduce static and feedback significantly.
- Cost The best gaming headsets don’t need to cost $3o0.00. Set a max budget for what you are willing to spend on a gaming headset. Standard Mic/Chat headsets are very inexpensive around $25, Wireless Headsets tend to cost a bit more. The afterglow wired headset is about $55 while the wireless is $99.
- Force Feedback Much like our console controllers, we get notified when certain things are happening in game. Force feedback allows your headset to provide you with the same interactions.
- Look/Feel Since your headset is going on top of your head, you probably want the headset to look good. Some headsets like the Afterglow headsets offer interchangeable colors. Memory foam headsets will allow it to fit to your head and be much more comfortable if you are gaming for long periods of time.
Top wired gaming headsets – Compatible with PS4
Plantronics Gaming Tournament Headset
Normally a $300 headset, for $200 the Plantronics gaming headset is top of the line in every area. You have the choice to switch between 7.1 Stereo and 7.1 Surround Sound audio with this headset.
- Noise-canceling, closed-ear design and ruggedized mic
- USB Dolby sound card for 7.1 surround sound
- HD stereo sound, extended frequency response from 40mm drivers
- 3.5mm plugs for analog compatibility
- Travel case for storage and display
Plantronics Gaming Tournament Headset for PC (GAMECOM COMMANDER)
- Prepare to win with tournament-ready noise isolation, game audio, and voice communication
- Shut-out background noise and distractions with over-the-head, closed-ear design and be confident your team hears you loud and clear with noise-canceling, ruggedized microphone
- Immerse yourself in the game as USB sound card with Dolby Headphone and Pro Logic IIx technologies transforms standard audio into immersive 7.1 surround sound
- Transport and display your headset, cables, and accessories in the sleek, strong ballistic nylon wrapped travel case
- Own it with a laser-etched, limited edition serial number that uniquely identifies your headset
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound
Another best selling headset out there that was made for the Xbox 360. The X12 is listed on the PS4 compatibility list as it connects through USB to the console. What makes this headset so appealing is the price. For gamers who are not looking to spend a lot of money on headsets but want something a headset with good stereo sound, this is a great option. You cant beat the price of under $50 for the X12, the 1500+ reviews with 4.5/5 stars says it all.
- Rugged, breathable design
- Breathable mesh ear cushions
- 3.5 mm mic and audio jacks
- High sensitivity mic with flexible boom
- Mic mute switch
- 16’ cable
Turtle Beach Earforce Chat Communicator P4C
Made just for the PS4 for an affordable way to chat and communicate while playing.
- High sensitivity microphone with flexible boom and premium 40mm speaker for high-fidelity chat.
- VERY inexpensive but built for Chat and not sound quality
- 40mm speaker for incoming chat and a unique slotted ear cup design that lets you hear external game sound and chat at the same time
Turtle Beach Ear Force P4c
- Superior Chat Quality
- Lightweight & Comfortable
- Slotted Ear Cup
- In-line Chat Volume Control
- Mic Mute
Top Wireless Headsets
ASTRO Gaming A10 Gaming Headset – Blue – PlayStation 4
Astro gaming has taken the gaming headset industry within the last few years. Releasing several low to high end products for console gamers. The A10 headset is their starter product which you can get for the PS4, Xbox One or PC. I personally have the A50 headset that comes with a docking station that charges your headphones and you can switch between PC and PS4 but at a price of $300!
ASTRO Gaming A10 Gaming Headset – Blue – PlayStation 4
- Durability: The A10 Headset features durable headband anodized aluminum wrapped in a damage resistant polycarbonate blend so your headset will withstand wins, losses, and everything in between
- Comfort: Extended comfort memory foam ear-cushions keep you from fatigue so you can play as long as you want in complete comfort
- Communication: With the omnidirectional mic featuring flip-up mute functionality and in-line Volume Control, you and your teammates will always hear each other clearly and accurately
- Sound Quality: Tuned for Gaming, the A10 features immersive and accurate audio the way sound developers intended. Low latency and precise voice communication mean you’re always in sync
- Compatibility: Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Mobile, MAC, and PC;Drivers:40mm Neodymium Magnet
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound
One of the best selling gaming headsets out there. This headset is very high quality and inexpensive compared to the other headsets that offer the same functionality. The headset has memory foam to make it comfortable to wear for hours and hours on end. The Wireless connector is USB compatible with the PS4 and the wireless range offers a great connection up to 40 feet away.
- Immersive 7.1 surround sound: Advanced Dolby technology delivers detailed positional audio
- Noise-cancelling boom mic: Reduces background noise and auto mutes when rotated up
- Three programmable G-keys: Customize with one-touch commands over chat clients, voice morphing and more
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound, Wireless Headphones with Microphone
- Headphone Driver: 1.6-Inch (40 mm), Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz, Impedance: 32 Ohms, Sensitivity: 90dB SPL/mW
- Microphone Pickup pattern: Cardioid (Unidirectional), Type: Pressure Gradient Electret Condenser, Frequency response: 50-20KHz, Sensitivity: -40dBV/Pa re: 0dB = 1 Pa, 1KHz
- Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound, Seven discrete audio channels, SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8USB port
- Low-frequency effects (LFE) channel, Rapid-burst transmission
- Agile frequency, Noise-cancelling mic
Turtle Beach Earforce PX4
One of the newest additions to the Earforce lineup. A pricetag of about $150.00, superior quality to many other headsets and delivers crisp and clear sound. The PX4 is compatible with the PS4
- PS4 Compatible
- Dolby® Digital Surround Sound
- Play & Charge Rechargeable Battery – Up to 15 hours of continuous gameplay
- Connect a second audio source (such as a phone or MP3 player) to the transmitter to listen to music when done gaming
- PX4 can plug into any 3.5mm jack with the included Mobile Device Cable
Turtle Beach Ear Force PX4
- 100% Wireless Game and Chat
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound
- Dual-Pairing Bluetooth Brings Calls & Gaming Together
- Bluetooth Brings Music & Gaming Together
- Long-Lasting Comfort
Turtlebeach has a great compatibility guide on their website for the PS4. Below is a picture of the Turtlebeach headsets that will work. If you have a preference for one of them.
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound – FFP
- Turtle Beach