Hard Drives for PS4
The stock PS4 Hard Drive is 500gb but games are averaging 20gb-40gb each which doesn’t leave much room to store your games or digitally download them. If you install every launch day game and free download that will only leave you with 70gb left.
The good news is that Sony made it really easy for the average joe to upgrade their hard drive. All you need is a standard phillips screw driver and you are ready to go.
PlayStation 4 Specs
PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade – Here are the current PS4 Hard Drive specs that you need to consider.
- 2.5 Inches – (The standard laptop size internal hard drive will be 2.5 inches but desktops also can use this size)
- 9.5mm Size ( 9.5mm Laptop size internal hard drives)
- 500gb Size (Capacity to hold data)
- 5400 RPM (How fast the hard drive operates)
- Sata II (How fast data can be transfered)
With all that said you MUST the hard drive you want for your PS4 is for 2.5 inches wide vs a 3.5 and 9.5mm high anything bigger and you will be returning it. Sony did make the PS4 compatible with 12.5mm drives however the standard for drives is typically 9.5mm and 15mm.
Recommended Hard Drive Specs
There are a handful of recommendations that meet all of the requirements and will hopefully be the last hard drive you have to buy for your PS4.
- Size – 1TB (1000GB)+ – Unless you are searching for a SSD or SSHD. There really is no use getting anything in between 500gb and 1 TB. A 500gb model will get you the same storage and 750gb will only get you another 5 games worth of storage.
- RPM – 5400 is Standard for hard drives but a 7200RPM hard driveis definitely recommended, the cost difference is minimal. 10000RPM and 15000RPM drives are not available over 1TB yet and I personally wouldn’t spend $350 on a 10000RPM drive that is only 600MB. Also note that on laptops the higher the RPM the more power it will consume, since your console is plugged in you will not have to worry about battery life.
- Sata – Sata II can transfer data at a maximum of 3.0 gb/s while Sata III can transfer up to 6.0 gb/s. You really want a Sata III drive if you are upgrading. Sata III is backwards compatible to Sata II. (Note) It is confirmed that the PS4 uses Sata II in the current hard drive so when you upgrade your drive it will be Sata III. It is not confirmed whether the PS4 can take advantage of the full Sata III speeds yet.
Can I buy an external hard drive? Yes but it will not work for the PS4 the way you want it to. Games will not be allowed to be played directly from an external hard drive unlike the Xbox One.
What to buy?
Consider boot times before making your decision on what Hard Drive is best.
- Stock HDD – 25 Seconds to Boot
- Hybrid Drive – 20 Seconds to Boot
- SSD Drive – 19 Seconds to Boot
Game Launch Times
- Stock HDD – 42 Seconds
- Hybrid Drive – 37 Seconds
- SSD Drive – 36 Seconds
Downloaded Game Launch Times
- Stock HDD – 60 Seconds
- Hybrid Drive – 45 Seconds
- SSD Drive – 42 Seconds
The Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014 is definitely the best drive for the money if you can afford another $40-$50 extra vs the 1TB 5400 RPM drive. A SSD Drive may be a good long term investment if you really have no budget to follow.
With all that being said after searching there are a handful options available at this time. The 1TB 5400RPM hard drives and the 500gb 7200RPM hard drives are near the same price as the 1TB 7200RPM Sata III drives. A 7200 RPM drive is recommended if you are not getting the Hybrid drive. At the moment there is only ONE hard drive that works for the PS4 that is 2TB in size, it has not started shipping yet but you can see the specs here. Seagate Spinpoint M9T
- 8 Step Picture guide to changing your PS4 Hard Drive to replace the hard drive or the
- PS4 Firmware update guide if you have already replaced the hard drive.
Best PS4 Hard Drive Recommendations that work with your new PS4
HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
The HGST Travelstar 0S03563/0J22423 drive is under $90 and will double our capacity in the PS4. Amazon rates it 4.5/5 from customer reviews and is compatible with your PS4.
2.5inch & 9.5mm
- HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive
HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB 2.5-Inch Mobile 5400 RPM 9.5mm Internal Bare Hard Disk Drive 0J28001
For about $120 – The HGST 1.5TB Travelstar will triple your capacity but the RPM is 7200 vs 5400. This is the largest drive currently available. In 2014 the Seagate M9T 2TB drive will be available.
- 1.5TB (1500GB)
- Sata III
- 2.5inch & 9.5mm
- HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB 2.5-Inch Mobile 5400 RPM 9.5mm Internal Bare Hard Disk Drive 0J28001
Consider upgrading your PS4 With a Solid Slate Drive or a Hybrid Drive
I have received quite a few questions on upgrading the PS4 with a SSD(Solid Slate Drive) or a SSHD(Solid Slate Hard Drive). The prices of these drives can range anywhere from $175 – $600
A SSHD is simply a hybrid between a standard Hard Drive and a Solid Slate Hard Drive. A Hybrid drive still has the large spinning disk but has the improved cache performance that a SSD has. The SSD actually has no mechanical parts or moving parts, it uses integrated circuit assemblies. The two pictures above show a good visual of what they look like.
Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014
Hybrid drives can decrease your load times quit a bit. The Seagate hybrid has a great price point at under $110 and a great option if you dont have the budget to spend $175-$600 on a solid slate drive.
- Sata III
- 64MB Cache
- 2.5 inch & 7mm
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW
The 840 EVo series has four options that are compatible with the PS4 based on size. The 250GB/500GB/750GB and 1000GB sizes. SSD drives are a great long term investment for your PS4. Even if you get the 250gb or 500GB versions you can keep a smaller number of games on your drive but benefit from much the best speeds possible. They are all 2.5 Inch 7mm and Sata III, on SSD drives there is no RPM.
The question is how much are you willing to spend upgrading your PS4 Hard Drive? Seagate is the best company when it comes to Hybrid Drives and is offering the Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive for $105 originally $149.99
Samsung offers the highest quality for Solid Slate Drives. The PS4 requires a minimum of 160GB drive so I am only recommending 250GB and up. The Samsung EVO series has up to 1TB capacity. Samsung also offers 840 Pro Series SSD hard drives that are much more expensive. If you have the cash then grab the Pro version over the EVO. Also keep in mind that each game will be 50-60GB so the lower capacity SSD will have much better performance but require more removing of games if you purchase SSDs that are lower capacity.
Enjoy this video on SSD vs HDD by Samsung